In The Heart Of The World (Brazil/2019/Drama)
NO CORAÇÃO DO MUNDO
Language: Portuguese, French
製作公司：Filmes de Plástico
- 多種電影類型的融合，兩位導演的以無比的熱忱描繪了街區、各式面孔和日常生活節奏，還搭配了許多令人眼花撩亂又印象深刻的次要角色——艾拉比登庫特, MUBI
- 「《心之所向的未來》雙導演蓋比瑞爾馬丁斯及毛里利奧馬丁斯拍了一部錯綜複雜的劇情片，描述康塔根市某個鄰里關係密切的社區，兩位導演也出身當地。生活在貧困社區的這麼多角色，每個人都想改善生活條件，有些人鋌而走險從事非法行為，有些人只是努力過日子。導演起用專業和素人演員，創造了一幅萬花筒般富有創意的影像，描繪了鬥爭、希望和信仰。」 ——林肯中心
- 蓋比瑞爾馬丁斯及毛利里奧馬丁斯從早期的短片《Contagem 》(2010) 和《Dona Sônia Borrowed a Gun from her Neighbor Alcides》 (鹿特丹國際電影節, 2012) 延續而創作本片。他們自己來自這個地區，以原本就認識的人為基礎，塑造出有趣的角色。精彩的攝影技術，優秀的專業和業餘演員陣容，富有創意的配樂，包括美國民謠到巴西說唱，真切地捕捉了這個地區。
- 《心之所向的未來》場景位於康塔根附近，靠近濱海城市貝羅奧利松提，就是兩位導演出身的地方，也是他們早期的短片的場景（《康塔根》、《Dona Sonia Borrowed a Gun from her Neighbor Alcides》）。
Dona Sônia borrowed a gun from her neighbour Alcides, to avenge her son, Joca, who was killed by Beto, who is Miro’s brother, who is Rose’s lover, who is Selma’s friend, who works with Marcos, who is Ana’s boyfriend, who wants to leave Contagem and have a better life in the heart of the world.
The heart of the world: that is what Selma yearns for. Not that she has a concrete place in her head. It could be anywhere, as long as she is happier. A better life like that, that’s what all the characters want in the mosaic film No coração do mundo. Bus conductor Ana regularly faces abuse in the bus where she works while taking care of her father. Her boyfriend Marcos is involved with a hit job that went wrong. The hitman was Beto. His brother Miro has to lend him money to flee − which he gets from his lover Rose, who has a beauty salon and also wants to work as an Uber driver.
No coração do mundo follows the inhabitants of a poor neighbourhood in the Brazilian city of Contagem as they attempt to make life easier − something the women tackle with strikingly more energy than the men. Committing a burglary is just as natural as setting up as a school photographer. As long as it earns money.
A sprawling feature by Gabriel and Maurílio Martins, In the Heart of the World offers a vivid depiction of a close-knit community in the city of Contagem, where the filmmakers are from. In this multi-character ensemble, the inhabitants of a poor neighborhood yearn for a better life: some get involved in crime, others just try and get by. Using a mix of professional and amateur actors, the directors create a kaleidoscopic, inventively photographed portrait of struggle, hope, and faith.
A mosaic film following the inhabitants of a poor neighbourhood in the Brazilian city of Contagem as they yearn for a better life. At the core of it all is Selma, a woman dreaming about the heart of the world: it could be anywhere, as long as it’s a place where to feel happier.
Director/Writer: Gabriel Martins and Maurilio Martins (no relation)
Producers: Gabriel Martins and Maurilio Martins, Correia, Thiago Macêdo
Production Co: Filmes de Plástico
Cast: Kelly Crifer, Leo Pyrata, Grace Passô, Bárbara Colen, Robert Frank
PRÊMIO GUARANI, 2020
- Best Picture Nominee.
- Kelly Crifer, Best Actress Nominee.
- MC Carol, Best Female Newcomer Nominee.
- Best Ensemble Cast Nominee.
- Best Film Editing Nominee.
- Best Adapted Screenplay Nominee.
ROTTERDAM IFF, 2019
- Gabriel Martins and Maurilio Martins (debut feature), Tiger Award Nominee.
- World Premiere — Rotterdam IFF (Tiger Competition), Netherlands, 2019.
- IndieLisboa IFF, Portugal, 2019.
- An amalgam of cinematic genres...The Martins depict the locales, faces, and the rhythms of the daily life in a neighborhood with uncanny gusto, and with a kaleidoscope of memorable secondary characters — Ela Bittencourt, MUBI
- [An] amalgam of cinematic genres. What opens as a romantic comedy, with indigo blue, nearly purple skies and magical lights—a setting that immediately subverts the usual presentation of the Brazilian periphery as drab and forbidding—quickly changes tone, to incorporate elements of a crime genre.
- “A sprawling feature by Gabriel and Maurílio Martins, In the Heart of the World offers a vivid depiction of a close-knit community in the city of Contagem, where the filmmakers are from. In this multi-character ensemble, the inhabitants of a poor neighborhood yearn for a better life: some get involved in crime, others just try and get by. Using a mix of professional and amateur actors, the directors create a kaleidoscopic, inventively photographed portrait of struggle, hope, and faith.” — Film at Lincoln Center
- “One of the best Brazilian films of the year...
Eccentric, lovable characters inhabiting this smart, beautifully shot
and seductive observation on a poor neighborhood desperate for better days.”
— Roger Costa, Brazilian Press
- Gabriel Martins and Maurílio Martins embroider on their earlier short films Contagem (2010) and Dona Sônia Borrowed a Gun from her Neighbor Alcides (IFFR, 2012). They come from this area themselves and base their intriguing characters on people they know. They lovingly capture the district, with surprising camerawork, an excellent cast of professional and amateur actors and an inventive soundtrack, from sugary American ballads to Brazilian rap.
- Gabriel and Maurilio Martins... have done a fairly good job in weaving a humanistic story from the place closer to their life. Eventually, ["In the Heart of the World"] a tender examination of a place and people, forever evolving.
- Directors Gabriel and Maurilio have primarily conceived the feature as an impassioned neighbourhood symphony, showing that the place is full of intriguing, complex character as opposed to (incorrectly) generalizing it as the den of criminals. The cinematography (by Leonardo Feliciano) gracefully attunes to the details of everyday life and vibrantly captures the district (the ingenious use of soundtrack also adds to the movie’s tone). The film-makers’ take their time setting up the scenes, attempting to offer a perspicacious look at the place and its inhabitants; for instance, the moment Selma waxes poetic about her hopes as the camera gradually zooms out. The glacial pace also helps capture the camaraderie (or the lack thereof) between the characters.
- In the Heart of the World is set in the neighbourhood of Contagem, situated close to the beach city of Belo Horizonte, the area where the film-making duo comes from and based their earlier short films (‘Contagem’ and ‘Dona Sonia Borrowed a Gun from her Neighbor Alcides‘).